As Christians, we all want to be more like Jesus. One very good way to help us along that journey is speaking aloud His Word and applying it into our lives (Positive Affirmations). As I was having time with the Lord this morning, I spoke some of these things over my life as I read in the book of Proverbs. Speaking aloud the Word of God is very powerful. Using the Word to bless your family and your own life can stir the heart of God. He wants to bless us and what better way to receive His blessing than to speak His Word over our lives.
As we read Proverbs it’s helpful to remember what God says in 2 Corinthians 5:21, “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” Keeping in mind that we are “the righteousness of God in Christ” will help us understand how God sees us as “blameless” because of what Jesus did for us on the cross and how He makes these affirmations come alive in our hearts and minds. We can begin from the moment our child or grandchild is born speaking the Word of God to them. And it’s never to late to begin reading it aloud to ourselves.
1. I am a person of understanding and will hold my tongue. (Proverbs 11:12b)
2. I am a trustworthy person and can keep a secret. (Proverbs 11:13b)
3. I will commit to the Lord whatever I do and He will establish my plans. (Proverbs 16:3)
4. I will not hold pride in my heart nor have a haughty spirit for pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. I will not fall. (Proverbs 16:18)
5. I will avoid strife and quarreling. (Proverbs 19:3)
6. I will not pay back a wrong for a wrong. I will wait for the Lord to avenge me. (Proverbs 20:22)
7. I will not close my ears to the cries of the poor. (Proverbs 21:13a)
8. I will pursue righteousness and love so that I may find life, prosperity and honor. (Proverbs 21:21)
9. I will have a cheerful heart because it is good medicine. (Proverbs 17:22a)
10. I will fear the Lord that I may have a secure fortress and it will be a refuge for my children. (Proverbs 14:26)
Of course there are so many more affirmations and inspirations in the book of Proverbs but this list will be a start and perhaps you would enjoy searching out more of God’s Word to speak into the lives of your family. You may be surprised to find out what powerful changes God will make in your life when you do this one simple thing.